Pages

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Skated Chrome

I had been a dirt bag for days, hammering every seam with a bead, countless 18-20'' dolly Varden had fallen for my fraudulent offering of a free egg.. I was feeling dirty, the stink I had placed on the fiberhammer would take weeks of swinging to erase. As I walked back down the bank of the anchor river I saw a fish rise... a big fish, hmmmm he had a different style about him, class perhaps... early steel? Kneeling on the bank I began to dig into the deepest corner of my back pack, beer cans, ammo, redbull, smokes... streamer box, I studied my options, and pulled the trigger on the orange skating muddler, 5 minutes of chopping and rebuilding and I was dressed for success. Stripping line, poorly set anchor, and sloppy lob and the fly landed 50' cross bank down stream, the belly I had thrown instantly drug the muddler under, lifting my rod I yanked the belly back upstream... a train wreck of a cast, the fly poorly slid into a seam and I began to lift to go for a new anchor and a fresh begining.. and BAM! airshow and the battle was on! he drug me around and made more than a few good runs, slid through some fast water and I landed him in the next run... chrome.. how I ever caught him with the slop I was selling I will never know.. I guess flyfishing is alot like calling elk.... it doesnt have to be pretty, just in the right spot- tight lines

4 comments:

  1. I will admit to a little jealously...I'd like to fish Chromes just once.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Howard.... You cannot fish chrome once.. It becomes something like a sinning. And as for jealousy... I long to fish the land of john denver and eat cakes off the griddle ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope some day I get as good as you are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you would take that back if you ever saw me cast 2 handed, we will fish together soon waco, thanks for the comment-

      Delete