Pages

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Cabelas 7-8 wt custom glass rod review table review

Note... this review has been re-written after 75 days of on the water fishing, most of the comments following will not be valid to this post anymore- Over a year ago I read on T.F.M that Cabelas would be introducing a new line of Fiberglass fly rods to commemorate the 75th aniversary of their company.. I decided I needed one so I ran up to Lacy Washington and gave them a wiggle. My intentions were to purchase the 5/6 weight but the half wells grip and the sliding ring reel seat were a turn off for me so I chose the 7/8 wt rod with the locking reel seat. I have since purchased the 5/6 but havent really fished it much. I tried several lines on the 7/8 and came to the conclusion that the rod prefers a weight forward line and does not carry a long belly style line well at all. I found the scientific angler mastery series lines to fish the best. while steelhead fishing I tried an 8wt Royal wulff ambush line and was suprised how well it roll casted it with such a short length. While the C.G.R is labeled a 7/8 wt ( and casts both sizes of lines well ) in the ability catagory this rod is simply a light 7 wt, I have landed and played dozens of trout, several sockeye and at least 20 steelhead and numorous small and large mouth bass. The C.G.R is capable of fishing summer steelhead and smaller winter hatchery steelhead but is way to weak in the power department for larger native fish. It is a very nice summer steelhead/ trout / bass rod. I personaly felt that Bass really brought out the character in the C.G.R, and would highly recommend it for that application. Ive for the most part enjoyed this short little rod, my only real complaint would be that both of the 7/8 wts ive purchased had issues with the reel seat nut cross threading and getting stuck, and the case is pretty much trashed, missing the zipper, torn, and the strap falling off within a week of purchase. The rod has been on sale twice for $75 and I suggest waiting for it to do so again. I started out with a pfluegar Trion but have since started using a Lampson Konic on it and I prefer that pairing. All in all the rod has held up to rugged fishing, and is well made in my own opinion and I expect to have it and fish it for many years to come. If you have any questions you would like to ask about the rod feel free to email me at halibuthitman@yahoo.com

5 comments:

  1. I'm debating on this one...I have a steelhead trip planned for next month. Hmmm...I just like the 9ft rod. And I am leaning towards graphite right now. I need to pick up something pretty quick! What reel did you put with it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. well,where are you going? thats gonna make a lot of difference, if you give me untill sunday I will have the answer to whether this is a good steel head rod, im a little leary, but glass is tougher than it seems... if its not I can give you some recommendations on a nice inexpensive rod- Brad

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, and thats a pflueger trion reel in the picture... $120.00 and still working 100 steel head later-

    ReplyDelete
  4. "The ferrules could trip a guy up, as they do not push in all the way, but I don't mind them."

    The rod has spigot ferrules...they're not supposed be pushed all the way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the 7/8 glass. Mine throws an 8 perfectly? A rio saltwater taper, on a Bauer MZ5. Balance well together.. Slings size 4 giant stonefly/ nymphs, bass bugs and deceivers. Maybe it doesn't like your line.

    ReplyDelete